|AGRICULTURAL PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION
Superintendent: Chrissy Karrer
1. Refer to the General Rules for Wise County Youth Fair eligibility guidelines.
2. The Agricultural Product Identification contest is open to all 4-H, FFA and FCCLA members.
3. Contestant will be divided into three age categories. Age is determined as of August 31st of the previous calendar year.
A) Juniors 8-10 years old
B) Intermediates 11-13 years old
C) Seniors 14-19 years old
4. Each team shall consist of a minimum of three (3) and a maximum of four (4) contestants, with the three (3) highest scores being
used to compute team scores. Contestants without a team can participate as an individual.
1. Twenty (20) Texas agricultural products selected from the Texas Agriculture Product List will be exhibited at separate stations.
Contestants will select the correct identification of each product from four possible answers and bubble their answer in on a scantron
sheet. Each station will also have one multiple choice question pertaining to the product on display. Questions may be: a) general to the
industry that produced the product (i.e. Texas' national ranking, economic impact to Texas, general nutritional content, region of
production); or b) specific to the individual product that is on display (i.e. cooking method, use, growing season, specific nutrition of
the cut or variety). Contestants will be allowed 45 seconds at each station before they are asked to advance to the next station.
2. Scantrons will be provided to all participants.
Contestants will receive five (5) points for each product that is correctly identified and five (5) points for each question that is correctly
answered. Points will only be awarded on the follow up questions (pertaining to the product displayed) if the product is correctly
Total Points Possible Individual 200 points
Team (high three scores counted) 600 points
2. Ties: Four (4) stations will be selected as tie breakers in advance of the contest. Teams with the highest cumulative scores at these
seven stations will win any ties. If ties still remain, winners will be determined by the toss of a coin.
3. References: The following websites are recommended references. Teams will also benefit from their own web searches and by
visiting supermarkets to view products listed on the Texas Agriculture Product List.
Texas Produce Association
TAMU Extension Texas Horticulture & Crops
USDA Cuts of Beef
Ag ID Study Guide
1. Awards will be given to the top 3 teams in each age division and the top 3 individuals in
each age division.
1. Agricultural Product Identification - Junior
2. Agricultural Product Identification - Intermediate
3. Agricultural Porduct Identification - Senior