AGRICULTURAL PRODUCT ID
1. Refer to the General Rules for Wise County Youth Fair eligibility guidelines.
2. The Agricultural Product Identification contest is open to all 4-H, FFA and FCCLA members.
3. Contestants will be divided into three age categories. Age is determined as of August 31st of the previous calendar year.
A) Juniors 3rd through 5th grade
B) Intermediates 6th through 8th grade
C) Seniors 9th through 12th grade
4. Each team shall consist of a minimum of three (3) and a maximum of four (4) contestants, with the three (3) highest scores being used to compute team scores. Contestants without a team can participate as an individual.
1. Twenty (20) Texas agricultural products selected from the Texas Agriculture Product List will be exhibited at separate stations. Contestants will select the correct identification of each product from four possible answers and bubble their answer in on a scantron sheet. Each station will also have one multiple choice question pertaining to the product on display. Questions may be: a) general to the industry that produced the product (i.e. Texas' national ranking, economic impact to Texas, general nutritional content, region of production); or b) specific to the individual product that is on display (i.e. cooking method, use, growing season, specific nutrition of the cut or variety). Contestants will be allowed 45 seconds at each station before they are asked to advance to the next station.
2. Scantrons will be provided to all participants.
1. Contestants will receive five (5) points for each product that is correctly identified and five (5) points for each question that is correctly answered. Points will only be awarded on the follow up questions (pertaining to the product displayed) if the product is correctly identified.
Total Points Possible Individual 200 points
Team (high three scores counted) 600 points
2. Ties: Four (4) stations will be selected as tie breakers in advance of the contest. Teams with the highest cumulative scores at these seven stations will win any ties. If ties still remain, winners will be determined by the toss of a coin.
3. References: The following websites are recommended references. Teams will also benefit from their own web searches and by visiting supermarkets to view products listed on the Texas Agriculture Product List.
Texas Produce Association
TAMU Extension Texas Horticulture & Crops
USDA Cuts of Beef
Ag ID Study Guide
Awards will be given to the top 3 teams in each age division and the top 3 individuals in each age division.
1. Agricultural Product Identification—Junior
2. Agricultural Product Identification—Intermediate
3. Agricultural Product Identification—Senior